Tami

Tami

Stolen Magic (Shadows of the Immortals) (Volume 1)
Marina Finlayson
Das Schlimmste kommt noch oder Fast eine Jugend
Charles Bukowski
Die linke Hand Gottes
Paul Hoffman, Reinhard Tiffert

Nope. DNF at 30%.

The Courtship of Julian St. Albans - Amy  Crook

I give the one star for the quality of the writing.

This is a gay version of "The Bachelor" in a strange steampunky 18th century AU with mobile phones and Gin & Tonic and magic, but the most repressive and stupid view on gay relationships I read in a long time. Plus a totally boring crime mystery.

Cue one: One guy becomes "Master", the other "Consort". The Master is responsible for the estate and the business, and the little wifey - ahem - consort for the household.

Stereotyping much? Believing in very stuffy old-fashioned views on relationships in general much? This is worse than stuffing people in the hetero-normative gender-typing drawer.

Here the young and beautiful bride-to-be (the consort or "The bachelor") is seeking a Master amongst 13 want-to-be bosses out of the high society.

Really??

And "the boy" is behaving flirty and coy, and is also a damsel in distress because his long-time lover has been just killed. But, alas, he will find a new master soon.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with feminine behaviour. As there is nothing wrong with women. But this whole setting is rubbing me the wrong way.

Why will the "dominant" Master be the one to take care of the consorts estate? Why is sexual preference like being a submissive or a bottom determining your entire role in society???

That's an awful world built in this novel.

And don't get me started on the stupid magic stuff. I skimmed this, because it was so boring to me, I just couldn't.