Tami

Tami

DNF at 20%

Ark: A Scifi Alien Romance (Dragon Empire Book 1) - Lucy Snow

Just some quotes to illustrate why this wasn't for me (besides the absolutely silly heroine):

Heroine, who accompanies the Earth ambassador to the most important meeting in all human history: "Of course I wanted a family. Working with Fuller all this time over the last few years had been wonderful, but it wasn't the same as having a special man in my life."

First of all, she sounds like 16, so "the last few years" had me scratching my head, and her general demeanor has me doubting Fuller's sanity for choosing a "I want me some romance" silly clutz as his attendent. Major FACEPALM.

The hero, who likes to kill things. Talking or interacting - not so much; killing, yeah! - tall, muscular, alpha: "I remembered venting to Kaalax in private, railing against the shame at being assigned to escort him to a "conference". The very world sounds like something babies would play at, not fit for real men, real warriors."

Of course insta-lust on the heroine's side as soon as she sees his muscular warrior's body, she nearly loses her professional cool (AHEM).

Their dialogue is so cringeworthy, I simply couldn't go on.

"Tell me about yourself, Ark." Ark stopped eating long enough to stare me down. "I am a warrior."

Oh, but he has a sweet and romantic side too! He has a little monologue about how passionate his race is about love, while shoveling food supplements down his gullet. And her reaction:

I blushed, and quickly looked down to try and hide my face just as I noticed Ark's eyebrows raise in question. "Tell me about how your species loves, Ark. You make it sound so all-encompassing."

I even cringe inside writing that down. That has to be the worst come-on line in all history, alien or human. I can hear bad 70ies shag music in the background, groovy!

Then our precious heroine does a little slut-shaming with saying that humanity's way of love is basically crap with only serial affairs and one-night-stands and such awful things instead of sticking with their choices, because it has become "so easy to jump between relationships" (the 50ies called, they want their sexual morals back...)

I rest my case.