Tami

Tami

DNF after 35%

Flare - Jonathan Maas

I won't rate, because it could have been just my mood here.

The writing was good, the world-building, well, original, I think.

At least in the beginning. Then I started to have doubts. Which happens when there is so much science involved, but the explanations seem to become more and more fiction...

I give you an example: The temperature is so hot that humans immediately get cooked when being outside in sunlight. They dry up like mummies , they die in minutes or seconds. So, my problem with this: it is absolutely dry outside, no rain - this world would have burnt. One piece of reflective glas is enough to cause disastrous forest fires. But in this world somehow nothing burns?

That is more than hard to believe.

Also what I strongly disliked and that might be true to the current status of the world (Trump, alternative facts etc.):

One of the characters, Calum, is a kind of preacher and he tries to sell the "bible is a book of truths, not of facts" bullshit. When you start to construe "truths" into something that is factually wrong and highly circumstancial to a historic time and the ensuing culture of three thousand years past, I am out. I am fine with trying to find the underlying meaning of the new testament, trying to understand what Jesus meant. Trying to find the universal love and acceptance and forgiving that I want to find, to be fully honest.

So, yes, maybe just semantics. But it rubs me the wrong way. Facts are facts. And the truth is not an easy thing to discern. But we should NEVER ignore facts on our way to truth. And one fact is the cultural and historic circumstances of the original texts as well as the texts themselvers.

Sorry, just had too much social media toady, and my heart hurts for all the people who might lose their health care, get deported, banned, discriminated against or whatever else ...