Tami

Tami

Good read.

Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex Book 1) - Sonya Bateman

This is a slightly unusual UF series, insofar as the protag is a man and there is no romance.

It has fae, demons, shifters and a bunch of other standard fantasy entities.

The storyline is solid, the main character's voice is good and the read overall enjoyable.

Some of the side characters remain pale despite the author trying to make them interesting, e.g. Sadie. I have not clear picture who she is supposed to be as a person. She has a function in the story, but she didn't feel like a person to me.

I liked that Gideon's backstory did not remain a secret too long, a lot was revealed quite early on, it gave a good overview on him and the world-building.

It was a good and enjoyable read, but I probably wouldn't have picked up the whole series if it wasn't on kindle unlimited and therefore free for me.

It just didn't grip me...

PS: I have one minor niggle with the concept of the villain here - they are supposed to be a religious hate group. But there is nothing even remotely religious about them.

Some nerdy rant about Latin names: their cult's name, milus dei. It is explained to mean "soldiers of god" in Latin. But soldier in Latin is "miles" and the plural "milites"...it is only one google search away...yes, I might only have noticed this because I had Latin in school and graduated on that subject. But still. I mean if you create a hate group to be the villains over a 6+ book series, you could at least take ten minutes of searching before naming them...I spent a way too long time trying to find out if milus is even a word. I couldn't find it. Funnily enough "dei" is absolutely correct, that is the genitiv of deus, meaning god...