Tami

The Blade Itself
Joe Abercrombie
Darkfever
Karen Marie Moning

And that's it for me with this series.

Friday Night Bites - Chloe Neill

SPOILERS IN REVIEW!

So.

Merit has become the ultimate Mary Sue. Smarter, stronger, more alluring, well connected, ex-Debutante, but rebellious, intellectual, loyal, sassy - she is everything with legs for miles.

And she is boring.

Incredibly boring and predictable. Totally crushing on Ethan, because he is the most beautiful thing she has ever seen.

And the rest: the story has so many plotholes, it is not even a real story anymore.

First the whole "Celina has been set lose" line - her whole incarceration doesn't make sense. If humans are so hung up on security and wary of vampires, she would have been executed immediately and not expediated to the UK for some prison time for killing two humans. That just does not fly with the "Ethan is so worried Humans will kill the vampires off or at least ground them in their mansions" stupidity.

She was kept alive to be re-used as baddy. A bad choice as she was uninteresting the first time around.

Then Ethan himself. He is supposed to be this great master and so on, but his only plan so far is to use Merit's social clout. Wow, how conniving!

Then the blackmail story. The threat was to expose the vampire rave parties and thus sway the Humans against the vampires. This threat was voiced by a shifter - a supernatural group that has not been outed yet.

See any problem with that? A super secret group threatens another group with some minor secret?

Yeah.

Major major pet peeve: boy. Ethan gets called "boy" a lot. Morgan the sad clown gets called "boy". Merit talks about herself as "girl". She is 28, for g*d's sake. Ethan is over 400 and was 30 years when he was turned.

This intensifies the feeling of a very immature and at the same time unhealthily horny Young Adult story.

UGGGHHHH.