Tami

Tami

Verbrechen und Strafe: Roman - Fjodor M. Dostojewskij I am done! I did it! Finally!This dragged on and on and on. It was a re-read, but not a good one. When I read it the first time I liked it just fine, but this time around I found Raskolnikov unbearable - his mood swings, his arrogance, his hysterics, his brutality. I can't in any way identify with him, as he is such an artificial character. But what really made this painful: It was boring. It's amazing, as this book contains two gruesome murders, two additional dramatic deaths (accident and sickness resulting in three orphans), one suicide, one attempted blackmail and rape, a broken engagement, two couples falling in love and so on and so forth. You might expect a lot of action. But you'd be wrong. Because there is a lot of monologues and long dialogues, a lot of meandering talks. Not my type of book. There was really nothing poignant in it. And so the action swam in to much talk for my taste.The theme - Raskolnikov's belief in his "right" to murder as he is "special" - was probably very original and controversial when it was written. I rate this low, because I didn't enjoy it very much - not because I think it was a bad book. It did have some more interesting parts, but mostly I just tried to finish it as fast as possible. And, really, what felt like 80 different Russian names made it not really easy to follow the story - sometimes I had to go back pages to understand if the commissar was speaking or Raskolnikov's friend or someone else altogether...