Tami

Tami

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov I won't rate this book.It is brilliantly written, but I hated it.I had totally wrong ideas about this book when I started reading - some vague notion, that it is a story about a forbidden love, piquant because of the girl's age, but an amour fou, not quite right, but love nonetheless. I only saw some short scenes of the movie with Jeremy Irons.Boy, was I wrong.In reality this is the memoirs of a pedophiliac who rapes/abuses his 12 year old step daughter. She is not the first child he molests and there is no love involved as I understand it.I understand also that it was the author's intent to show the vileness of the protagonist's thoughts, feelings and behaviours, but the facts that it was 1st person POV made it so very hard to bear. Pages after pages of justification of his behaviour, recrimination towards the victim, disgusting thoughts about sexual acts with children and so on.No easy or recreational read, that's for sure.A brilliant book, also for sure.