Tami

Tami

Stolen Summer - S.A. Meade Hm... I like the writing and the start was very strong. But what I disliked right away: How the (ex-) girlfriend is the homophobic, mean bitch from hell. And how the impending doom of the journey to Pakistan is so clearly outlined, it takes away all the suspense.And then the real desaster seemed quite anticlimactic. Maybe it's only me, but the whole kidnapping part was - well, kind of boring. Not that I expected or wanted blood and gore, but it somehow was much milder than expected and it didn't touch me much. I was bored although this part was not very long. What I also disliked was the near constant weeping, sobbing and crying. I am the last person to begrudge someone a good crying fit and I also think men have the same right to tears without loosing masculinity points, BUT, it was just too much. It felt as if the protag was constantly either just drying his tears, or starting to cry. That also diminished the impact of his supposed pain for me.I think my main problem with the book was, that I didn't warm to the 1st person narrator. I felt detached and wasn't overly interested in him. I also felt that there a lot to be desired in the story and the plot (e.g. why not start a therapy instead of taking pills that ruin your life? Why is there no other journalist to do the second trip? Why so hesistant to break up with a girl that you don't love and who cheated on you? and so on...)When he went to Jordan after what had happened the last time he travelled into a hostile, unstable country, I also lost any interest in a HEA with his boyfriend. My only feeling was "serves you right" when the protag was all miserable (including some heavy crying) because his boyfriend didn't accept his decision and left him. And then an all-knowing elderly neighbour shared some wisdom with the clueless hero and voila HEA (I don't like this plot instrument much, as I find it quite unbelievable that people would discuss their most private feelings with strangers, but hey that's probably just me). And I would have liked the boyfriend better if he stuck with his decision to kick the egoistical and whiny protag to the curb. But so, the protag groveled a bit, offers marriage and all was great again in time for a sappy end.