Tami

Tami

Downtime - Tamara Allen Time-jumps, psychic/medium who sees and talks with ghosts, time travelling ghosts and Jack the Ripper. Also the first third of the book doesn't really contain any romance, but after the first kiss it's zero to hundred with lightning speed. It feels forever until there is a relationship development and the two story lines (Jack the Ripper crime part and time jump and back) are both kind of convoluted and long winding. So it Comes as a surprise that in the end it is falling in love forever within two weeks, which more or less is insta-love. It was very well written and had many well formed side characters. Unfortunately they seemed more interesting than the two mains. It had some humor and atmosphere, so it was a nice read.But it felt very long and drawn out in some places. And the Jack the Ripper part didn't really work for me. It just wasn't very interesting. What bugged me a bit was also how careless they were with their sexuality. In 1888 it was a punishable crime and still they took many risks and kissed in hallways etc. That just felt strange and not real - but that was my main problem with the book: given the time jump and medium plot, a lot of stuff just felt strange and surreal while at the same time the historical setting and character development was meant to be realistic. It didn't fully work for me.Three stars for good writing and some interesting characters (unfortunately not the main ones...).