Tami

Tami

Aaron - J.P. Barnaby Aaron and Spencer are the main characters here - both in a special situation: Aaron survived a traumatic experience and Spencer is deaf. The person to really break my heart though (at least in the first half of the book): Aaron's Mom. She is so strong, so full of love, so caring and so good. At some places their interaction nearly made me cry. This love between mother and son is one of the most touching relationships I ever read about.The book tells the story how Aaron finds back into life two years after "the assault". It is written with changing point of views so that the reader gets a lot of insight into the characters thoughts and feelings. The character development is done very well and makes for a very moving story.Three things though that kind of bothered me about the storyline: Firstly how Spencer is so lonely because EVERYONE he ever met treated him like he was retarded for being deaf. Ok, I do not live in the US and not in this town, but this seems like a strong exaggeration to me. I don't find it plausible that he has never made any lasting friends or dated. He is decribed as very smart and handsome, so this sounds like a plot device to make him a better fit for Aaron.Secondly I find it also very unplausible that Aaron's parents were unable to find him a therapist who in fact specializes in rape and assault victims. That doesn't ring true. His parents are so invested in his getting better, and this is where they take the shortcut? Really? In the hospital or from the police at least they should have been given some names - and if not, there is this great invention called the internet.And thirdly I would have preferred that Spencer and Aaron are friends and not lovers. I find it very understandable, that Aaron is not able to have sexual relations after what happened to him, but I find the idea of him with Spencer in a platonic, but exclusice romantic relationship then rather unplausible. They are nineteen and Spencer is described as someone with a rather strong sex drive. This doesn't fit imo and is overly romantic in a otherwise starkly realistic characterization.