Tami

Tami

Origin of Darkness (Daeva, #2) - Daniel A. Kaine 3,5 stars.I loved the first installment and the whole world-building in it. I loved the characters and the writing and the whole story. In this second books in the series, the 1st person narrator is Ash. It starts with him coming to as a Vampire. He joins Mik, Violet and their "motley crew" and they travel to Calais. A mysterious womean invades Ash's dreams, and a dramatic development including demons and dreams of hell and torture (plus some new allies) ensues. The troup has to unearth a mysterious weapon to defeat the darkness. The plot seemd quite complicated to me and some cliches (e.g. love stronger than hate) I didn't appreciate much, as they were more or less thrown in the reader's face.There was only small personal development, especially regarding Mik's and Ash's relationship. It felt more like a fantasy adventure, but it was missing the best part of the first installment: the feelings, the slow building between them, the back and forth, the whole romantic love and drama. There was some of that in here too, but it was not as touching or special as in the first part.It ended with a cliff hanger, so I will wait for the next one to redeem the series for me.