Tami

Tami

In From the Cold - Mercy Celeste There were a lot of things I didn't like about this one. The love story more or less sprung to life when both MCs met again after years apart (having been secret High-School-Sweethearts). No real explanation. One of the MCs was deeply closeted, but the whole coming to grips with his orientation was very shallow and drowned in some not very sexy sex scenes. It was a strange mixture of sappy dialogue and senseless actions. Most characters remained shallow and stereotypical (e.g. the confident, clever, pretty little sister of Nate).Then a brutal and imho totally bizarre torture and rape scene that damaged one of the MCs, but not so much that he couldn't have sex with his boyfriend three weeks later in time for the HEA - WTF?This was really not a good read for me. I immensly dislike rape here as a plot instrument - it doesn't serve any good purpose for the story and it is not dealt with in a way I find emphatic or insightful. Maybe I am over-sensitive on that, but I just think that this topic is not to be played with in this manner. Actually it made me angry.I am disappointed because I read another book by this author and liked it very much.