Tami

Tami

Animal Triste - Monika Maron,  Brigitte Goldstein (Translator) I have mixed feelings about this book. It is written very well, the language is very poignant and clear. The story is building up slowly and the end was somewhat surprising, but still not unprobable, if that makes sense. The protagonist, an aging woman, is not someone to identify with easily, she is bitter and very self-centered, confesses to not caring for her own daughter much e.g.. It is supposed to be a book about love and I think this is why I was so disappointed. I couldn't really follow how she fell in love with "Franz" just because of one very irrelevant sentence he said to her. He is only described with his eyes ("kleine hechtgraue Augen"), not sure how it was translated, it means "small, pike-grey eyes". I didn't see much love in there, but maybe I am too romantic or naive and have a strange understanding of love. For me the book is only about the kind of "being in love" that borders on obsession, but is not the same as loving in my opinion. This aside, it is still a somehow great book and I am not sorry that I have read it.