Tami

Tami

SPOILER ALERT!

Silly adults acting childish...I didn't enjoy this.

Taking Chances - John  Goode

A big disappointment for me, as I liked the author's other books about the boys from Foster High School very much.

And this might be the crux: His young adult main characters were good. His more mature characters are still immature boys.

I don't find it engaging to read about two men around thirty years old, who never managed even one half-way successful or happy relationship (including friendships). Who are described as incredibly picky.

Add in a lot of perspective changes, PoV of at least four people (or five...lost count) - only one who was done really well was Matt's father.

The thing that irked me the most, how silly and pointless this whole story felt to me.

I skimmed a lot.

Both MCs are attractive jocks with emotional issues. And that's it. The drama around Foster and all that might make for a tragic and engaging story about homophobia and bullying or about loneliness, but given that I don't care much for both of them, it cannot salvage that book for me.

Seems to me also that both MCs don't act, they passively wait for life to make great things happening for them. This is immature and simply stupid. And not only for gay people - surprisingly straight people who act (or don't) this way, are unhappy too.

It also has attraction purely based on physical appearance. Not the most interesting kind.

And some - again very immature -

(spoiler show)

Seriously, adult people who'd rather break up a relationship than be embarrassed by already having deeper feelings than the other party, deserve to be lonely.

In the end there was a lot of bitching around done by Matty, who really feels badly treated. I didn't get why exactly, but Tyler obviously was the villain, for letting him fly home in a hissy fit...

I can't imagine who'd find it in any way deserved to have Tyler "pay" for his hesitation to commit fully after seeing Matty for a week (!) with bringing the worst fag hag from hell to their first real date.

I immensly disliked the whole competition/proving of being more ok with being gay that Sophia introduced and Matty accepted. A "test", yeah sure - back with the teenage behaviour.

So Matty was a weak, whiny douche-bag. Insecure, immature and vindictive.

What Tyler saw in him is beyond my comprehension. Tyler who came to SF after Matty made a dramatic departure should now "chase" him to show his ardor - that is really so silly.

And then the end with the dramatic re-union.

I think it is safe to say, I didn't like this book much.

Which made me very sad, as I loved the author's other books.