Tami

Tami

SPOILER ALERT!

Nice start, but not great - and downhill from there

The Only Gold - Tamara Allen

I liked the language, some of the slow pace and the characters.

The setting was carefully done.

I found Jonah an interesting and engaging main character with his insecurities, his politeness and his helplessness. And his very human feelings when he was crossed over regarding the promotion.

What grated on my nerves in the beginning was his surliness and his constant yammering about how much he cares about the bank. A bank is not something that is plausible as someone's heartfelt concern. At least it doesn't make for a convincing concern. A bank is an institution which makes money out of money. It's not a hospital or a school or an orphanage. So the overwhelming dedication did not endear Jonah much to me - it got rather annoying after a while.

As with most books of this author it had a sloooooow burn. For the first third there was no romantic notion whatsoever. And then, bam!, the relationship was suddenly there. So there wasn't much development, it more or less came into existence suddenly.

I didn't like the "crime" part of it - I found it predictable and to be honest quite dull. I skimmed the ca. 20% that handled the robbery.

The whole plot twist about Reid was quite obvious. And Alice as damsel in distress didn't make this part any better.

Given that after the first half I just wanted it to be over I had to subtract a star from my initial rating.